Introducing: Community Apps

We’re thrilled to announce the release of Community Apps - a publishing platform for apps developed by the Tidbyt community :rocket:. Huge shout out to @drudge, @inxi, @joeyhoer, and @mackorone for providing early feedback so we could work out the kinks before launch. Check out a few apps they’ve published in this post.

:star2: Have a GitHub account? Please give the community repo a star!

Background

We’ve provided a way to create apps using Pixlet but didn’t have a way to publish those apps to the broader Tidbyt user base until today. With Community Apps , developers can now publish apps to all Tidbyt users on our hosted platform. Check out this post for a lot more background on why we went in this direction.

How Do I Publish Apps?

Check out this guide on how to get started. If you’re not there already, you should join our Discord by checking out this post . We use the #community channel to organize issues and releases of the Community Apps repo.

What Types of Apps Do You Support?

Check out this guide on app philosophy to get a better understanding of what we can support in the Community Apps repo.

Feedback Wanted

Have feedback? We’d love to hear it in the comments below.

11 Likes

Is there a recommended way to indicate there is nothing for an app to display at this time?

This is really awesome. Thanks for making this happen.

Are you still planning to open source the built-in apps eventually?

I made a NYC MYA bus times app inspired by the train times one, but I’m curious to learn how you set up the schema for the app inputs (like stop selection) and where you’re storing the API key secrets.

1 Like