Share Pixlet Apps

Hello everyone

I am wondering if anyone here has coded their own pixlet scripts yet to achieve new screens for tidbyt.

I have done a couple and curious what others have done

1 - clock with temperature and random image background, 2 variations (not the best background example on the one)
2 - 5 day weather forecast

anyone else like to share?

5 Likes

Love the 5-day weather forecast app! I’d definitely use that one.

I wrote a Nyan Cat app: GitHub - mackorone/tidbyt-nyan-cat: A Nyan Cat app for Tidbyt

nyan_cat

4 Likes

I just finished a simple Pokedex app: GitHub - mackorone/tidbyt-pokedex: A Pokedex app for Tidbyt

This is addicting!

pokedex

3 Likes

Those are awesome man! I am glad you shared the code I’ve been trying to do some loops!

I’ll check out the Pokémon one soon! I’ll need to get my GitHub back up and get my pixlets out there

Built another one, a Hacker News app: GitHub - mackorone/tidbyt-hacker-news: A Hacker News app for Tidbyt

hacker_news

4 Likes

Mack I am loving these ideas! I also was looking to make a news ticker kind of thing.

I hope to find a way to “serve” the app and then run another script to pull the “served” pixlet and push it to the device. This way it is not rendered each time and does excessive api calls (caching can be used)

Thanks for sharing!!

Hi! I am not a programer and do not know how to code but I have been making simple pixel art on an app called Pixilart and saving the images to the tidbyt via the image app. The silly graphic for the image app was done this way. Here are some other fun pixel art graphics I have made when standing in line or on a train that went directly to the Tidbyt at home to amuse my partner:

This is the pixel art drawing website:

6 Likes

I just finished building a “word of the day” app: GitHub - mackorone/tidbyt-word-of-the-day: A word-of-the-day app for Tidbyt

The constrained display forced me to get creative…

word_of_the_day

5 Likes

Wow, I love the word of the day app. That’s beautiful.

Also heads up, we are working on a way to get all your apps onto devices that’s better than “push it in a cron job”. Just a lot of work to do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy you like it! Here’s another I made: GitHub - mackorone/tidbyt-bouncing-dvd-logo: A bouncing DVD logo app for Tidbyt

bouncing_dvd_logo

11 Likes

Hahahaha. That’s amazing.

I wrote an app that takes data from my solar array’s inverter and shows current power generation, metric tons of CO2 offset, and acres of trees equivalent to the CO2 offset. Currently at 0 Watts because it’s night, but during the day it shows data on that frame of the animation.

solar_tidbyt

7 Likes

I wrote a little animation of F1 cars driving around a track: GitHub gist

3 Likes

These are all great! Fun to see what people are working on. I built a Word of the Day app as well. It was cool to see the different approaches @mackorone. Thanks for sharing yours. Here is my take on it. https://github.com/posburn/tidbyt_WordOfTheDay

wordOfTheDay

2 Likes

Looks like the text is too long for the twice-the-marquee-size limit that I wish were relaxed. :slight_smile:

Does pixlet not work for windows?

Check out this thread: Is Pixlet only available on MacOS and Linux? - #12 by AmillionAir

Not in this case. It was my mistake. I had the height set wrong and didn’t re-record the gif :slight_smile: But not having the size limit and delaying before the marquee starts scrolling would be great additions to the Marquee widget.

By the way, since your Marquee is 32 high but has less space to draw, the text visually jumps at the end of the animation cycle right when it loops back to the beginning.

I’d like to share my quote of the day app (which uses theysaidso.com’s RESTful API), but the quotes are frequently taller than twice the screen, so they keep getting cut off. In any case, this is how it looks with an altered version of pixlet that allows for taller marquees:

output

5 Likes