Weather app

That is a real bummer :frowning:

Yeah… I know. I really appreciate the work you’ve put into this and this just sucks. Our attorney communicated with theirs and pleaded our case, but we weren’t successful.

2 Likes

Hi @sudeepban / @rohan / any others following this thread,

Per Rohan’s most recent comment regarding AccuWeather’s legal dept. not allowing us to make calls to their API via this app, I have opened a PR (based on @sudeepban’s initial work on the “Time & Temp” app referenced in this comment) which introduces other weather API’s that Tidbyt users may select. Just trying to contribute to the community and support Sudeep as I really love the work he began with this app and would love to see it merged into the tidbyt/community repo as an app available to be used on our Tidbyts. :slight_smile: Let me know your thoughts!

This is really great stuff, appreciate the effort and hope you’re able to get it through! If that works for the current conditions app, perhaps a similar approach could be used for the previous AccuWeather 3 day forecast app that was removed.

I am curious about how the quality of the weather data compares from the different sources you’re pulling from. I think OpenWeather was what the stock Tidbyt weather app used which gave some pretty questionable results?

Thanks! You are the visionary and really appreciate your initial effort!! I’m hoping we can get this approved as well.

Unfortunately, I do not think we can make API calls to AccuWeather for any app that we care to submit to the Tidbyt Community. @rohan’s response would indicate that this is due to some type of legal reasons, so I’m not sure all of the details there.

I added several other open API’s that have free/paid models, and do not know of how their accuracy compares to AccuWeather. Would be nice to get this merged in so the community (worldwide) can test. :slight_smile: The one thing I do know about weather API’s in general are that generally-speaking, one isn’t the ‘best’ in comparison to others. I’ve found that sometimes, one weather API’s data models will return better/more-realistic data based on certain geographic areas vs. others. So, to me it makes sense to have a revision like this latest PR where we allow the Tidbyt user to choose which weather API they would like to use.

Also, I went ahead and renamed the app to “Time & Weather” as it seems a bit more fitting to the overall functionality of the app. Cheers!

1 Like