Scores Apps Update Coming Soon!

Is the ncaa hockey and baseball working for anyone? Not showing up for me

1 Like

Nope, no where to be found

1 Like

(For me, specifically talking about Celtic too! )An app showing the details of a teams next game(s) would be great - maybe with the option of last game result/live score would be amazing - whether that is the same app or two (or even three!)different apps it would be huge!

Agreed - this is the perfect set up!

the big challenge is the data. Right now with the ESPN api - you have to lock yourself into a league/tournament for that specific team & you only see the next game in that league (which doesn’t handle teams playing in multiple leagues/cups in a given window). Also with promotion / relegation - if your team moves leagues - you’d have to set it up again - which is PITA in my opinion. other options are paid APIs - I’m talking with a couple of providers & looking into their “free tiers” for trial use & see if the volumes would qualify - if everyone were to get their own API key - I’m going to assume they will not allow this based upon their TOS (and they are a for-profit company who sells this data to consumers) - but I am asking anyway.

Honestly I don’t know enough about the mechanics (or the TOS) of how the APIs work, but is there a way to pull the data from FotMob or LiveScore or something like that? I’m not sure if that’s legit or not, but I have a “widget” on my phone that displays the next game and previous game result - regardless of the competition (league/cup/European).
How would it work if folks were to get their own API key?

I’m assuming that’s a paid service via the app from the stores?

both of them basically have a terms of service - that you can’t use our data on outside platforms, blah, blah, blah. They have a disclaimer in there - but they don’t have any kind of API pricing or licensing.

here’s one of them.
“If you print off, copy or download any part of our Platforms in breach of these terms, your right to use our Platforms will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
You must not use data mining, robots or similar gathering or extraction methods in respect of any content on our Platforms.”

re: API key - assuming we can find a free or low cost service - you would register with their service & either authenticate via OAuth or enter an API key (depending on the provider).

I talked with one provider yesterday & their minimum per month is $100 and it’s a non-redist license - so that’s a non-starter.

Jumping back to the previous discussion, I am still not able to see the new sports apps and it’s been 5 days since their release. Anyone know if there is a way to “force” the app center to update? Seems weird to me that some people have access to them and some (like myself) don’t.

3 Likes

Yeah i still dont see them either i dont know if its a ios and android issue i know some stuff updates to ios first and android last but it usually doesnt take this long

1 Like

FotMob is a free service, but I think you’re right, I am sure there is a legal disclaimer about “scaping” the data.

I’m not overly familiar with how the APIs work - some have free tiers, but that would be too limiting. I took a look and found some references to Open Football API but I don’t think that’s around any more? There is also Sport Radar, which has a free version, but it’s not clear what it includes.

Would any of the free tiers be sufficient for the purposes of identifying some basic information, like fixtures, scores etc.? It wouldn’t need to be real time, I don’t think - I would be watching the game live for the most part.

One option, for the next fixture information at least, would be something like the functionality that allows you to add schedule information to your gmail calendar - even in the gmail calendar app, it doesn’t have the functionality to show the next event, only the next event that day. I wonder if that would be a start at least?

I talked with sport radar it’s an incredible service - but they are pretty adamant that Tidbyt usage doesn’t fall inside their terms for their trial account (aka free tier -which is supposed to be time limited) - even if I got each person to get their own API key. Their goal is to sell access to the data - so if they get a flood of requests coming in from the same IP with different API keys - they are going to shut it down really quickly.

I’m pondering still - but I’m running out of data sources with terms of service that I feel comfortable with. I’ve already pushed some limits with some others IMO & access could get shut down rapidly.

I don’t see any new apps yet. Where are they!!!

Also, will this new iteration of the sports app still feature sport team logos in a way that it’s in-depth and visually appealing then Tidbyt’s stock app for sport scores? Sorry if it’s a long question, but I would like to know before making the switch for team-specific score apps.

@cmarkham20 loving the apps as March Madness gets into full swing. I did notice that “Final” (at end of game) is replaced by round for the conference tournaments. Any way to abbreviate these? (e.g., Quarterfinal cuts a off after the ‘i’; can it just be QF?)

Also, any update on stats? Would love to be able to have those when the NCAA tourney begins!

@cmarkham20 I would love to see the addition of scores and schedules for the NBA’s G-League and the Minor League Baseball teams. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m noticing that the teams in the standings app (NBA, NHL) are suddenly out of order. I seem to recall this happening in the past on MLB as well.

Still, appreciate all you do on these apps!

2 Likes

I second this, seeing the same issue

1 Like

When MLB games are complete, the score app has each team’s errors reversed.

Thanks for these apps, one of the main reasons I bought a Tidbyt. Would you able able to add a pregame option to show the starting pitcher for MLB?

This NCAA baseball app shows, but there is a cloud with a slash through it. How can I get access?