LA Metro tracking

Hi! I am requesting for someone to build an app with LA Metro Rail arrival times. We bought our Tidbyt six months ago for the sole purpose of using it to track Metro and have been very sad that LA Metro is not supported by TidByt. Can someone build an LA Metro tracking app for Tidbyt? Every other major U.S. city is supported and there’s no reason LA can’t be.

Alternatively - if you’ve built a transit tracking app for another major transit system, can you give some advice on how to do it so I can do it myself?

Hey @Phoebekiekhofer , I had a quick look at the LA Metro site and I think I can put something together for you. Their data feed looks easy to work with.

Let me know if you’re still interested

1 Like

Yes i am still interested! Thank you!

1 Like

Great! I’ll get onto it over the weekend… I need a new project :grin:

2 Likes

Hey @Phoebekiekhofer ,

Here’s a prototype of the app. It will show the end of the line both ways and next 2 services.

Let me know if you want it show anything specific

la_metro

3 Likes

I’ve finished the app and submitted for approval. Hopefully it will be available soon :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Any update on this? I’m excited for this too. Would love to have timetables for the A line

hey thank you so much!!! i thought that i had responded by email but it looks like my replies to you aren’t showing up, i’m so sorry for the delay.

thank you so much for doing this!!!

I was wondering if you could get arrival information for the E Line train? That’s the train near my house! Is it possible to add that on?

Thank you so much,
-Phoebe

2 Likes

Its still pending review unfortunately. They are way behind on approvals at the moment

@Phoebekiekhofer , not a problem all the lines are included in the app :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Phoebekiekhofer and @MontyP thanks for the update! Keep us posted on when it’s approved. What you have in the example looks amazing! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

An update on this - looks like the arrival time data is no longer accessible unless you have an authorisation key. I’ll see what I can do but will likely have to abandon this project.

Sorry guys :cry:

1 Like

@MontyP oh no! So frustrating that this is so difficult. Keep us posted, but if it can’t be done at the moment we definitely understand. Thanks for keeping us posted and for your work on this!

@MontyP can you share the code or a repo you’ve worked on so far? I would be interested in pushing this over the line

Hey @tal42levy , the problem is that the data is not publicly available on the LA Metro website anymore. The APIs require an authorisation key now, which wasn’t the case when I was developing the app. The app was working fine before they introduced this authorisation requirement

I understand. I want to try to update your code to use the api key now, so I can try to get it working for personal use. Happy to credit you for the base project and everything

Sure, if you have a key I can share it with you. Will send you a PM

1 Like

I’ve submitted an updated version of the app for approval here, set up to ask the user to request their own API key from bit.ly/slyapi

1 Like