Cricket scores

The fix to the code has been approved, so lets see how it goes in tonight’s game :crossed_fingers:

Worked perfectly for today’s game - I had it running on my desktop with the live video feed on my laptop and they were pretty much perfectly synched - well - maybe a ball behind, but superbly done - many thanks.

You’ve got 8 days before the Women’s T20 starts in earnest - although the warm-up games are already underway - if you need any live matches to test with!

1 Like

Awesome! Thats great to know as I didn’t get home until after the game was finished so I couldn’t monitor the app properly. The scores should be at the most 1 min behind Cricinfo due to caching of the data. Pity the tournament finishes on Sunday though :grinning:

I’ll have a look at Womens T20 this weekend and will be finalising the test match version as well. My SA20 and ILT20 apps have also just been approved. And I’ll do an IPL next, might try and make it a bit more pretty especially for the pre and post game screens

If you have anything else you’d like to see on a cricket app let me know!

Hey @Benedict , the Womens T20 WC app is now available to add to your Tidbyt and there’s also a test match app available too

I’ve got them all now! Fantastic work - although not such a good morning for Australia so far. It looks great.

Funnily enough, ten years ago Cricket Australia came up with a “live scoreboard” which displayed Australia live Test scores. I do actually have one sitting on my desk here, but support for it has long-since disappeared. It was a great idea though.

I’ve had the Test and SA20 apps running today. The Test one worked perfectly. The only issue with the SA20 one was the fact that Eastern Cape is such a long team name that it overlapped with the score, but that’s just a minor thing.

Great to hear, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

With the Womens T20 app I’ve started using the team abbreviation instead of the team name, so hopefully that will resolve the long team name issue. Too late to update the SA20 and ILT20 apps now, but will continue with the abbreviations for future apps.

I remember those VB scoreboards when they came out, would have been awesome to have in your house or bar!

My two boys are gutted that we can’t find a way to fire up the scoreboard and use the app!

Women’s T20 matches worked perfectly yesterday. I have currently got the Zimbabwe v West Indies Test updating live, although you might want to add Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan to the Test list just in case any of their fans get upset!

I’ve submitted an update to the Test app, mainly for some cosmetic changes but I will add in options for those three nations too. Its pretty easy to add those.

One thing to note with the Womens T20 app is that Cricinfo decided (at some point today) to change the names of the groups from A & B to 1 & 2 , so the standings are now broken for Group 1. Very annoying! An update has been submitted for that as well.

Great to see the PSL has been added too - I am on duty for tomorrow’s game so will enjoy having a live “scoreboard” here.

I guess the only issue is that these tournaments are pretty transient - last a month or so, and then reappear the following year. Not sure whether it is worth somehow combining all these Twenty20 competitions - IL20, SA20, PSL, BPL, IPL (coming soon), WPL (also starting soon).

And of course the English domestic season here is only five weeks away, so there will probably be some clamour for that too. The County Championship would be a good starting point - starts in early May and runs until September. The Hundred, Blast and Royal London One Day Cup are the other competitions here. Just starting to get rather tournament-heavy I guess.

The PSL crept up on me, I was a bit slow to get it out.

I have been thinking about combining the T20 apps into one. The only thing that really changes is the team selection and tournament details, the underlying code & logic is the same for all of them.

I’ve started on my IPL app, I definitely want to get that one out well before it starts. I’ve got a couple of new ideas for it as well which I’m hoping to test with a PSL game tonight. Maybe once the IPL is over I’ll work on a combined app.

An app for The Hundred could be interesting and I did think about a county version too, wouldn’t be much different from the test match version of the app.

Way too much cricket :grinning:

For some reason it doesn’t seem to like Chanderpaul’s name for the West Indies. The current SA v WI match is updating nicely, but his name is blank. Not sure if his name is too long, but Labuschagne works fine for Australia.

I know exactly what’s happening there! If the player’s surname (called fielding name) is longer than 10 characters it will use a shorter version of the player’s name (called mobile name) in their Cricinfo profile eg Mohammed Shami becomes Shami. But if that mobile name doesn’t exist, its going to be blank on the app. Normally the mobile name is just their usual surname but I guess for Chanderpaul it doesn’t exist at all. Labuschagne does have his surname as the mobile name so that is why his is working ok.

I came across this when testing the PSL app and made some adjustments there to go back to the original name if the shorter version doesn’t exist. I just need to bring that across to the test match version, which I probably should have done already.

I’ve got a couple of other changes to the Test app to submit so I’ll push them through now. Usually they get reviewed and approved Wed/Thurs each week so fingers crossed it gets through this week.

If you find any other bugs please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

That reminds me of when we are creating all the graphics files for a televised game and we need to specify what the player’s name will be in the scorecard if he/she takes a catch - so max of 10 characters or so. I am surprised they haven’t sorted Chanderpaul, given his dad played - and had the same name!

Yep its weird but I’ve noticed it for a few other players too

And there it is - no mobileName for Chanderpaul

You’ve either fixed it, Cricinfo fixed it, or it happened to work just at the moment he was dismissed!

This would be because the “last man out” was looking at the fielding name, I hadn’t changed that part.

However…

The new update for the app has been pushed out so this shouldn’t be an issue anymore :smile:
I’ve also added 1st or 2nd next to the team name so you know what innings they are batting in

Chanderpaul was looking good on the Tidbyt earlier on, but he’d just been dismissed.

I guess the next logical iteration would be for ODI cricket as there are a set (limited) number of teams - I think about 16 at most recent count.

I guess the issue with T20 Internationals would be the massive number of teams currently playing - nearly 100.

Great work on the IPL app - looks perfect so far (3 balls in!!)

Thanks!

Due to the time difference I haven’t been able to look at it closely during a match so let me know if you notice any bugs etc