Configure WiFi connection without losing settings and apps

At work, our WiFi password changes monthly.

So I must factory reset my device and reconfigure it every month.

That is just not sustainable.

Network connectivity / connection should be configurable without losing settings or apps.

This seems like an obvious baseline feature-add.

I like to take mine to work and put it at my desk; it seems like profiles of apps and wifi connections would be appropriate.

And I’ll have to reset my Tidbyt 10 times in that time.

Bumping this topic up because I’m in the same boat. Hit the office this morning and the WiFi password changed. It’s almost unconscionable how bad of an oversight this is—why would you not be able to change the WiFi password within the app and just have it update the device no different from adding or removing an app?

2 Likes

Came to the office with the “Connecting…” screen again this morning.

This feature request is base functionality for a network-connected device.

Resetting my device again. Re-selecting all my apps again. Annoyed with this product again.

New month. Resetting my device again.

Note that this time, the device won’t reset. I’m stuck with a paperweight.

Bump. We need a way to update wifi-SSID credentials.

Bump again. I brought my Tidbyt from home to the office. It won’t connect. I really can’t just update the wifi settings somewhere? This is basic. When can we expect a fix on this?

Hey folks,

We have made an incremental improvement here. Changing Wi-Fi networks still requires resetting the device. However, if you reset by holding down the factory reset button and set it up again, it will restore all your apps and schedules.

I would like to add the ability to just change the Wi-Fi network for a device once it’s setup. However, this is fairly difficult to implement in a secure way. For example, if your Wi-Fi goes down, we need to prevent just anybody with the Tidbyt app from doing a drive-by attack and taking over your device.

These security issues are addressable, so it’s still my plan to support this eventually. But there a lot of edge cases we need to lock down to make sure it’s all good.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.