Aircraft/Flight Number Ident

HI Dan! Any luck getting an app up and running?

2 Likes

Any progress on this? Does anyone have an app yet?

I just got my Tidbyt yesterday and thought of this idea and am SOOO happy Iā€™m not the only one. Putting a comment here to be updated on progress.

Same. Would love a app in the air integration or just putting in my next flight number.

As a flight follower / CommSpec for a medevac service, This data would be nice to have, especially if you can select specific tail numbers or save a group of tail numbers to follow.

1 Like

Did this ever go anywhere? Iā€™d love something like this.

4 Likes

METARā€¦YES Please. As a pilot it would be great to see up to date airport weather.

There is already an app made for METARs

1 Like

Did this ever get realized?? Would love to track visitorā€™s planes while Iā€™m waiting to decide when to leave to pick them up.

2 Likes

another great use for this. Hopefully this will pick up momentum again. @DanS - so glad to see ya here!

2 Likes

Any traction on this? Would love this app as Iā€™m a pilot living near a major airport.

1 Like

Would love this! Both approach for a specific airport and aircraft above a coordinate.

1 Like

The situation could be there is no free/unlimited data source to hook up to. Has anyone come across a free data source?

I have a Raspberry Pi running ADSB and feeding many sources - PiAware - build your own ADS-B ground station for integration with FlightAware - FlightAware

When I look at ADSB data sources, most have a low volume free tier but that wouldnā€™t likely work for even a single user/account polling every couple mins for your local location. ADSB Exchange, Aviation Stack, FlightAware, OpenSky, etc.

Looks like maybe one of these projects was also utilizing airlabs GitHub - joshuaneronha/Tidbyt-Flight-Tracker @Josh_Neronha

Would Flightradar24.com work?

FlightRadar24 receives the ADSB data needed but isnā€™t a typical source of that data. I run a ADSB receiver and FR24 gets my data either direct or through a data aggregator, which gives me their Enterprise plan, but I donā€™t see a way to query them outside a form.

If one of the providers is willing to do it for free or someone is willing to pay for it, for everyone or for anyone that wanted to pay themselves, it doesnā€™t look to be a huge effort from one of the data source/API solutions that were mentioned in the thread.

As I host a Raspberry Pi acting as an ADSB receiver, I have the data for all the planes my receiver has detected and I could query it from a local TidByt app, but that wouldnā€™t work at scale, plus I donā€™t have the data for say someone even 100 miles away for me.

My ADSB receiver averages around 2500 planes reports received per day. Iā€™m 20 miles from the Empire State Building so I get traffic from Newark, Teterboro, LaGuardia and Kennedy as well as planes passing by overhead. You can see a little bit of stats at David Levine ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware for what is captured.

Did you ever post this? It looks great

1 Like

Hey! How do I get this on my Tidbyt? This looks awesome.

3 Likes

Did this ever take off? I just found this thread but I have been thinking about something similar myself but wasnā€™t sure about a good ADSB API and how I would cache data for each user for a reasonable amount of time. I had built an RPi ADSB receiver at one point a few years ago with an RTL-SDR and dump1090. I saw that @DanS from ADSBExchange was involved in the conversation as well. Would love to see where folks are at in their development.

I, too, live near an airport (about where planes turn for final for RW10 at BWI) and have a hospital with a helipad nearby.

2 Likes