Tides & Weather

High Tide / Low Tide / Weather

Would love to see what the local tides are and whether it’s a good tome to go surfing / fishing / boating / etc!

Can use the openly accessible NOAA Tides API:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=8534836

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Tides high/low would be super helpful

Hi folks,

This is a great idea! I looked through a few tide apps for iOS to get an idea what folks expect on this front. On the Tidbyt, it might be nice to display the tide chart for the day with a marker for the current time. We’d also display the current swell height and the location if we can fit it. I’m thinking something like this:

What do you all think? Did you have something else in mind? Would love your feedback.

2 Likes

Honestly, this would be dope. I think that’s enough info for some quality surf reporting

@J0hnnyonthespot My NOAA Buoy Swell app is live now. It shows basic swell data from a buoy that reports swell information. So not a surf report exactly but at least indication of swell activity in your area.
Go here to find the buoy id you’re interested in National Data Buoy Center

However, a lot of people are trying to use my app for other weather data like wind and temperature which it currently does not support.

I’m also interested in your take on the two wave height measurement metrics available on the noaa site.
A friend of mine claims that swell height it close to actualy surf height compared to significant weight hieght. The two metric are described here NDBC - Measurement Descriptions and Units.

Yes, I would buy a Tidbyt if I could get a tide display like what you have sketched here.

I love the buoy app. One thing I’d love to see is the times for high and low tide as an option.

Agreed! I love how that design is laid out.

Wanted to share this Tides & Temp app I’ve worked on recently and have under code review at https://github.com/tidbyt/community/pull/1506. It uses NOAA tide predictions and NDBC buoy data to display the next two high / low tides (and how many hours / minutes away they are based on current time) as well as the current water temperature. The wave graphic moves up and down based on an estimated current tide relative to previous and next high / low tide. Hopefully it should be available soon, looking forward to hearing any feedback folks have!
PXL_20230525_001830312.MP

Looks really good. Nice job. I might run along side my tides app and see which one I like better.

1 Like

This app is live now via the mobile app! Search for “Tides & Temp”, let me know if you have any feedback

1 Like

Nice job. You’ll def. want to add location based search option at some point because the average user will not do the work of finding the station id on their own.

1 Like

If there was some way to display a week view/daily view forecast of wave height based on that buoy link that would be great.