Tidbyt Hardware Failure - No Display (solved)

Hi team

Today I woke up to a lifeless tidbyt. I have used it since I got it last year and it’s been connected to the included power supply for the whole time.

I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in. I tried using the usb c block to charge my phone and it is indeed putting out power.

I wonder how I can check the tidbyt for damage. I did not open the device, however, if I smell near the usb socket, I can smell like a burnt electronic smell. I wonder if something failed inside.

Could this mean my tidbyt died? :frowning:

Please let me know if there is any other troubleshooting to try.

Thanks guys

2 Likes

Hi James,

Really sorry to hear this! It’s possible that a component short-circuited due to a power surge or similar. I’ve seen this happen in one other case.

We’ve worked with an expert electrical engineer and made some major revisions to the electronics in the last few months to add surge protection on the USB circuit. I’ll overnight you out a new Tidbyt today with these upgrades today.

If I include a return label, would you mind sending back your current Tidbyt, power supply, and cable so that we can investigate the issue here?

Apologies again.
-Rohan

2 Likes

Hi Rohan

I am beyond thankful for your gesture to replace it so quickly.
I am more than happy to return my current tidbyt with having a replacement.

Although part of me will miss it as it is special being one of the first tidbyts sold.

It will be missed.

Perhaps if the circuit is repairable, it can be repaired and returned to me as my “Kickstarter” tidbyt I had bought :joy: but might be too much logistics to track this.

I’ll be sure to return it for your investigations. I’d be curious to know what you find as I do have some electronics repair experience.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m the one who should be grateful :heart: For an early-stage company like ours, it’s unbelievably helpful to get feedback and hear about issues from our customers.

Will see what we can do :slight_smile:

Would you please DM me your current shipping address? Thanks!

2 Likes

No problem!
And no worries if it’s too much work or there are changes that make repairing mine impossible. I’m just happy to have it replaced.

Funny how accustomed I have gotten to the tidbyt always being there. Now without it lit it feels like something is missing.

PMing you now. :slight_smile:

This is great to read!

A developer that cares and supports their products! I can’t wait to get mine.

4 Likes

In case its helpful in chasing down this issue, my power supply died pretty soon after I got my Tidbyt. I swapped it for another one I had lying around and everything worked.

Thanks, that’s really helpful to hear! We’ve switched power supply manufacturers which I hope resolves the issue.

1 Like

These guys are true superstars. They have helped me many times and it usually ends up to benefit everyone!
A lot of polishing has been going on the almost year I had my tidbyt.

Tidbyt’s team really care about its customers and their product and it’s a great thing.

Cheers to the future tidbyt owners! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @rohan, I recently have the same issue. can I also get a return label so that you guys can investigate.

I just had this happen to my Tidbyt. Was working fine and then had very bright pixels that moved around the screen. Tried to reset and it attempted connecting a couple times before just going blank. I’ve tried to reset several times, but no change. @rohan can you please help?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @rohan, I an facing the same issue. Can you please help?

Hi @rohan
I got my today it work for around 15-25min then bright single led light appeared. I unplugged and plugged it again. Now it stays blank…

I’m also having the same issue and am finding customer support via email to be glacially slow. It’s pretty obvious the unit needs replacement. Is there a phone number I can call?

Could you outline what components you changed/replaced? I’d like to see if I can revive this Tidbyt rather than having it end up in a landfill. It’s worthwhile if it only means a few dollars of components on digikey.