I love my Tidbyt and currently find it most useful on my desk. I live in a one bedroom in Brooklyn with plenty of natural light. My bedroom currently doubles as my office. I can never seem to get the Tidbyt in a brightness level I am happy with. Here are my current issues and solutions:
- At night, the Tidbyt is too bright for a bedroom. I’ve worked around this issue by using the automatic dimming at sundown feature and schedule apps so they don’t run at night. The clock at this brightness is manageable, but any app with animations feels like the Las Vegas strip
- During the day, I find I have to up the brightness manually on a rather sunny day or dim the brightness manually on a cloudy day.
Potential solutions I’ve thought of:
- Dimmer values with less color space for the automatic dimming feature at night
- Quiet hours: the ability to set a time frame when the Tidbyt should be sleep friendly (remove all apps except the clock, set the dimmest value, etc)
- Software based daylight brightness setting: use weather data and time of day to guess what brightness the Tidbyt should be. Would be hard if the Tidbyt was not in a sunlit room.
- An ambient light sensor: this would be a heavy hammer, but would go a long way in ensuring the Tidbyt was always the correct brightness