After lots of trial and error, I have a workaround! Complicated but it works!
With this setup, I can send anything to Tidbyt the second it happens. No waiting for the right app to scroll around with new data. It breaks into the rotation to display the data I just sent, then continues on with the rotation as usual.
3 Pieces needed. Hubitat Elevation Hub, an always on Windows PC and a Tidbyt.
- PC Controller app
- Tidbyt Messenger app (my custom app)
Always on PC:
- A custom batch file
- It just sits there, looking pretty, waiting for data
How it works (in a nutshell):
- Something happens in Hubitat that I want to be notified of (motion in the driveway, Bruins score a goal, time to feed the dogs, etc)
- My custom app in Hubitat recognizes this and uses the PC controller app to send a command to the always on PC (using Eventghost). Eventghost then runs a batch file that ‘renders’ the .star file (using Pixlet).
- The .star file reads the attributes from the custom apps device on Hubitat (using the makerAPI) containing the info I want displayed on the Tidbyt. The .star file can also do any formatting, graphics, etc… needed to make it look nice.
- Now the batch file will ‘serve’ the webp image created to Tidbyt!
Simple, right! lol