Tempest Weather showing wrong pressure value

@rohan Thanks for getting that merged. Now that it is in the community repo what is the process for that update becoming live and reflecting on the Tidbyt?

Thanks for the fix! We normally deploy from the community repo to production a couple times a day. Unless there is a test failure this should be live by the end of the day.

1 Like

After asking in the WF forum, did this merge mean the pressure is fixed?

@GizmoEV Yes, and as of right now I’m seeing it correct.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the fix! If I’d known it was really just 10 characters I would have fixed it long ago :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

With regards to the lack of decimal precision on temperature that is going to be a deeper issue.

The forecast call which is used now does all the unit conversions to the local (Fahrenheit vs Celsius for example, but unfortunately just returns whole numbers.

/observations/station/{station_id} however gives more detail but returns all the data in one standard unit. Celsius for temperature for example. It does however provide the stations expected units so we know if we need to convert and what to convert to.

But we would need to write some untility code to convert C to F as well as MB to to the various pressure units.

The observations call seems to be missing current conditions (sunny, cloudy, etc) so that would be an issue as well.

Probably best to contact Tempest and see if they can provide an all in one endpoint that gives us more what we want. They would probably be interested anyway since the forecast call returns a lot more data than we need.

1 Like

This appears to be happening again. My Tidbyt is started showing temperature as nn.0° and a barometric pressure that is a full inch below the actual (currently showing 29.235 vs actual 30.276).

Also - is there a reason the pressure trend needs to show three of the same symbol instead of just one? It takes up a lot of space that could probably be used for something more informative.

1 Like

I just checked mine. Temp, humidity & wind match but pressure is different.
My Tempest shows 30.433 and the Tidbyt is displaying 30.112

I looked at the Tempest history and the pressure was near 30.112 about 22 hours ago 11pm ET last night.

Ok @sinclaj1 , I see what is happening.

When I view my Tempest’s data on the Tempest site (my site is at Tempest ), the pressure that the Tidbyt is showing is not the pressure we normally view which is Sea Level Pressure (30.439 for me at the time of this post) but the Station Pressure (30,.115 for me at the time of this post). I see the station pressure listed if I scroll down a little on the page I listed earlier in this post. You can replace my station id with your station id and you should see your values.

When I took a quick look at the source code that we have access to at community/tempest.star at main · tidbyt/community · GitHub it I didn’t see why station pressure is getting picked up, I will look more tomorrow to see if I notice any reason.

My Tidbyts are also showing the nn.0 temperature again and also station pressure rather than sea-level pressure.

My app is also showing temperature with a fixed zero decimal and station pressure instead of sea level pressure as well.

One request would be able to show daily accumulated rainfall. I don’t know if that can be squeezed in somehow.

1 Like

@rohan It’s almost as like the deployed code for this reverted to a previous version and does not match the github repo…

This is really strange, that repo should be the source of truth. I’ll investigate.

2 Likes

Something is definitely off. Mine is displaying temperature in Celsius and pressure in inches. I have it configured to display temperature in °F and pressure in millibars. It is also not updating, though the Tempest app is current. My first thought when this happened was that someone is messing with the code.

Any progress? Or diagnostics needed from our end?

Hey folks,

No update yet but wanted to let you know that I’m looking into it. The correct code is deployed, so that’s not the issue.

@rohan I would focus then on why it is being displayed with a X.0 for the temperature.

We dropped the zero, but it is currently being displayed.

It really looks like it does before these two commits

Thanks, that was really helpful and I’ve found the issue now. Turns out the correct code is being deployed… but is then being overridden by an old copy from our private repo. We recently changed how apps are loaded to make the server more efficient, and it had this unintended side effect.

Working on a fix now.

1 Like

OK, I’ve removed the old copy from the private repo so this should not happen again.

Correct values should now be appearing for everyone.

The pressure being displayed looks good for me now.

For the temperature, based on the code snippet above, it’s showing only integers (eg 48F) vs decimal (eg 48.8F). The precision is there but the code looks like it’s just the integer portion with no rounding. I’d prefer either xx.x or xx rounded, but that’s personal choice.

Anyway, thanks for making it more better :smiley: