Tempest Weather showing wrong pressure value

It appears that the Tidbyt Tempest weather station app is showing the station pressure value rather than the more common sea level pressure.

Currently my tidbyt is showing 24.791 which is the station pressure converted, while the tempest website shows 29.385 which would be the sea_level_pressure of 991.5 converted to inches of mercury.

Is there github repo we can create pull requests to update this?

Here is the data from the Weatherflow API

"obs": [
    {
      "timestamp": 1640877333,
      "air_temperature": -10.7,
      "barometric_pressure": 839.5,
      "station_pressure": 839.5,
      "sea_level_pressure": 995.1,
      "relative_humidity": 75,
      "precip": 0,
      "precip_accum_last_1hr": 0,
      "precip_accum_local_day": 0,
      "precip_accum_local_yesterday": 0,
      "precip_minutes_local_day": 0,
      "precip_minutes_local_yesterday": 0,
      "wind_avg": 0.2,
      "wind_direction": 22,
      "wind_gust": 0.4,
      "wind_lull": 0.1,
      "solar_radiation": 2,
      "uv": 0,
      "brightness": 248,
      "lightning_strike_last_epoch": 1633556648,
      "lightning_strike_last_distance": 32,
      "lightning_strike_count": 0,
      "lightning_strike_count_last_1hr": 0,
      "lightning_strike_count_last_3hr": 0,
      "feels_like": -10.7,
      "heat_index": -10.7,
      "wind_chill": -10.7,
      "dew_point": -14.3,
      "wet_bulb_temperature": -11.5,
      "delta_t": 0.8,
      "air_density": 1.11431,
      "pressure_trend": "steady"
    }

Screenshot from the Tempest Station Website

Also the Tidbyt shows the temperature as 24.0 with the 0 while the actual temperature is 24.4 (-4.2 C → 24.4 F). I think you should either show the decimal point not zero’d or remove it entirely.

1 Like

Noticed the same things. Happy to help debug and test a resolution.
I think the temperature should be presented with a decimal as shown on the station grid page, not rounded to a whole number.

2 Likes

Same here. I came here to post about it and see I’m not alone. I’m happy to help test, too.

FWIW, I have four different WeatherFlow stations with a different combination of sensors on each one. Maybe in time the app can be expanded to select different sensors from a given station, much like station selection is done now.

Hey all, taking a look now.

The plan is to open source this applet to allow pull requests, but there’s a few more things we have to wrap up to make public any apps that authenticate with 3rd-party services.

4 Likes

@rohan Just curious, once you push a fix for this app what does that update process look like? Does the device check for app updates every day or every few hours?

1 Like

While you are at it, here is another formatting thing to fix, the pressure value does not show trailing zeros.

Maybe the best for pressure is to round to the second decimal place and pad with training zeros as needed. In this example pressure should display as 29.30 (at least until sea level pressure is displayed in which case it should read 29.78), and as @CountRushmore mentioned, temperature should read 41.5°.

PS. maybe this should be a feature request, but it would be great if when it was raining, the rain would either animate or blink. Also, maybe if there is room to put the pressure change indicators as a single character after the pressure value then the line below could show accumulated rain for the day.

2 Likes

@CountRushmore Once we deploy a fix, it’s fixed for everyone within a matter of a couple minutes.

Unfortunately this is taking me longer to figure out than I’d hoped. We’ve spun up a community repo (currently in beta) where I’m hoping to move some apps like this one.

1 Like