Setting up your Tidbyt

Setting up your Tidbyt takes only a few minutes. Here’s the short version:

1. Plug in your Tidbyt with the included USB cable and plug.
  2. Open the Tidbyt app on your phone (Android, iPhone).
  3. Click on Set up new Tidbyt and enter your Wi-Fi info, and some other details.
  4. Choose what you’d like your Tidbyt to show.

Here’s the process in a bit more detail.

To start with, unpack your Tidbyt box and find the USB cable and plug:

Plug the USB plug into a wall outlet, and use the cable to connect it to the Tidbyt. Your Tidbyt should turn on immediately and show a screen like this:

Now, open and login to the Tidbyt app on your phone (Android, iPhone). Select the option to Set up new Tidbyt. Your phone should now find and connect to your Tidbyt, and ask you for some details to get it up and running.

If everything goes well, you’ll end up on a screen that looks like this:

Tap on the + icon to see the apps that are available for your Tidbyt, and pick one to show.

That’s pretty much it! Let us know if you run into any issues.

4 Likes

Installation was very simple! And the device looks great - it’s larger than I expected.

1 Like

Hi Rohan,

I have a question regarding the re-setup of Tidbyt.

If the Wi-Fi network SSID changes, does the Tidbyt have to be completely reset and set up again from scratch to connect to the new network?

Thank you

Currently yes, it does. The reset process is:

1. Unplug the USB cable on the back of the Tidbyt.
  2. Hold down the blue button the back.
  3. Plug the cable back in, while continuing to hold the button for 5 seconds.

The Tidbyt will be reset and ready to pair with a new network.

Being able to edit the Wi-Fi network of an existing device is on our roadmap, but it needs to be built carefully due to the security implications.

5 Likes

Earlier today, I got a new router and couldn’t figure out how to reconnect my Tidbyt to Wi-Fi. Thankfully, I stumbled upon this comment thread. Thanks for the detailed instructions, @rohan!

3 Likes

Hey

Just curious, did you lose your apps that were set up on the Tidbyt? I’ll be changing networks in the near future it would be a bummer to start over.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey James, yes, you would. We need to have a better solution for this, but in the meantime please let me know when you’re setting up the device again and I can restore your apps from backup.

2 Likes

I just set mine up with the app and it was super simple!

One thing that wasn’t immediately clear to me, is that the Tidbyt will automatically iterate through all the “apps” you select for it, which is the default behavior I wanted. I think the app could perhaps make this a bit more clear during setup?

(I see there’s also an “experimental” feature where you can set the duration of default app cycle time?)

Anyway, great work! Super smooth setup!! I’m lovin’ it. :hugs:

1 Like

Good morning,
I think this happened to my Tidbyt this morning. It was connected to an Wifi-Extender and probably lost connection overnight. This morning it showed the message “connecting”, but did not connect. I turned it off and on again (just unplugging), but it did not connect. So I reset as described by Rohan and reconnected to the WiFi. This time to the main WiFi. Let’s see, if it remains connected throughout the coming days.

2 Likes

I’ve had my tidbyt for awhile now but the past few days it’s just been displaying “connecting”. I decided to reset the device and gif is picture on the app. Is there something I’ve done wrong here?

@ManderJK did your problem ever resolve? I’m just another community member, but check out this FAQ for that specific issue: My Tidbyt can’t connect to Tidbyt servers

It didn’t look like there were any issues recently on the Tidbyt server side based on their status dashboard. If nothing in that above link helps, then here are some ideas I would personally try if you haven’t already.

• Double check that my phone and Tidbyt are on the correct Wi-Fi network and that I didn’t auto-join something unexpected during setup.

• Delete and re-install the Tidbyt app from my phone.

• Unplug the Wi-Fi router from power and plug it back in.

• Unplug the Tidbyt from power and plug it back in.

• Try resetting the Tidbyt again doing both the hardware and software reset.

• Confirm there have been no recent changes to the Wi-Fi router. Like if devices are required to be whitelisted or something.

If still no luck, email [email protected] with diagnostics using the info at the bottom of the page from that first link in my post.

1 Like

Is there currently any method to enable “headless” device setup? I don’t have an issue using a phone, but relying on an app and/or some servers off somewhere works very well until it doesn’t (see: Pebble). As hackable as this is, I presume that’s already quite possible, but isn’t surfaced. Can we get some docs up on the matter?

@warrius, welcome to the community!

I don’t know of any truly headless setup, but someone else here might have some thoughts on that.

You can use pixlet to run an app off your own hardware that generates the WebP file that gets displayed on the Tidbyt, but you would still need to push the WebP to the device through Tidbyt’s API.

If you dig around the board more, or hop on Discord, you’ll find other people in the community working on custom firmware that could allow something like you mention. I imagine we’ll eventually see Tidbyt devices doing all kinds of things outside of this initially provided functionality.

A quick side note, myself and others are still rocking their Pebbles daily! Enthusiasts formed The Rebble Alliance to keep them alive and well: https://rebble.io/howto/

Just opened the box and tried to link it to the app and I get this, “Found a device, but it appears to be broken or in a bad state“. Tried resetting twice and restarted. Same thing.

Hello Rohan.
I just reset my Tidbyt and saw this comment of yours.
Although it’s been a while, is it still possible to get my apps back from your servers?
Fingers crossed.