Preset "display off" mode

Hi! My likely location for my Tidbyt would be in the living room or in an office setting. So, hopefully it would be energy-saving if there was a setting to have it turn the display completely off during a preset time interval.

I searched the forums and found a similar request made in September 2020, but it only involves dimming the display or displaying a clock and not completely turning it off.

Thanks!

This is a neat idea - a painful way to accomplish this could be adding a black photo and have it scheduled for a time where no other apps are scheduled to display.

Tidbyt app could offer a “quiet hours” setting that would make the tidbyt display black image for a period of time specified. This would be kind of nice for those times you don’t want the distraction :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I love the “black image” hack.

We could totally do a “completely off” quiet mode, it’s not technically difficult. The main issue I see though is that then you don’t really have a way of knowing whether your Tidbyt is in “screen off” mode or if it’s just completely broken.

What would y’all think about having something like a single, dim, red pixel or some sort of extremely dim pattern that just lets you know the thing is on/working?

By the way, just a quick comment on the energy usage. With the current night mode, Tidbyt uses a surprisingly low amount of energy. Even less power than a phone in sleep mode with its screen off.

4 Likes

I think either idea works! Of course, having an actual mode would be most convenient. To @rohan about the single, dim, pixel that could work. It could either be static or “blink” slowly in a corner.

One caveat with the mode would be an override feature - unless there’s a physical button, perhaps the app would need to include a switch to temporarily turn the display back on/off during the “quiet” mode.

Also, yay for the low energy usage!

I like the single pixel idea! Maybe just ever so slowly pulsating, like the diodes on a sleeping macbook or monitor.

2 Likes

Rohan I also think the single pixel is good.

It would slowly blink, as it “breathes” if you have enough variance in brightness to work with (0-F)
Simple toggle switch in the settings for “Energy Saver” and also you can schedule this mode.

Perhaps it can be toggled by the API as well, so you can disable energy save and then display an image.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This would be a really great addition, I’d value it greatly. Even the low brightness on the Night Mode can be fairly bright in a dark room. It would be nice to have the option to just turn the screen off completely (perhaps except a pixel or two, to Rohan’s earlier point) without having to pull the plug.

3 Likes

Ideally, it would be great if the Night Mode actually had two sub modes: time and display off.

1 Like

I’d be happy with an “off” button on the app

2 Likes

I notice that if I use the Messages app, turn the line separators off and have no text, I get a completely black screen as well.

I’d love to have a night mode that allows as little energy use as possible – less than even a sleeping phone –set through the app. And checking the app would be the way to know if that mode is engaged, or a dark-screened TidByt has lost power.

And at the moment, if I want the display to go into night mode, I usually have to open the app and set the time – since I don’t always go to bed at the same time every night(/morning… one of the hazards of the creative life.)

Would be great to have a simple toggle… or even to integrate with the iOS Sleep mode.

He said. Thinking out loud. :grinning:

3 Likes

Has such a mode been implemented yet? Rohan’s idea for the single pixel/extremely dim pattern was back in May 2021.

1 Like

That’s a great idea! Makes no sense to have the device running all night

A very dim “Sleeping” text maybe?

I tried to contact Mack Ward who wrote the code here community/dvd_logo.star at main · tidbyt/community · GitHub for the bouncing dvd_logo. I modified for my own use and changed the logo to a grey dot and resized to 1 x 1 so that at night the one dot bounces around on a black screen and doesn’t bother me. You need to make sure you disable night mode so your app can run at night.

Sometimes I would prefer the device to simply be black, without any indicator that it’s plugged in.

could just use the blackout app and pin that app or schedule it.

thanks - didn’t realize there was a blackout app.

Voting for an option to have a black out mode or a mode where it blinks dimly one pixel a second that cycles through all of the pixels to indicate it’s on.

2 Likes