Physical Power Switch

I like turning my devices off when they aren’t needed, rather than putting them in a standby mode even if the current draw is negligible in standby.

Not providing a power switch also means that when a person pulls the plug on their device, it can cause a momentary arc of electricity at the plug, which I’ve observed when I have powered off my Tidbyt. Doing this repeatedly may cause damage to the outlet/device over time from the little bit of research I’ve done on the subject (I acknowledge I’m not an Electrical Engineer, but common sense tells me that pulling the plug on something that is drawing power doesn’t feel safe to me).

Please add a physical on/off switch to future Tidbyts.

I agree that a switch would be nice. In the meantime, you might look into USB cables that have in-line switches. They’re available.

I put a 7 dollar Wi-Fi outlet on mine for this reason. I have it scheduled to turn on 30 minutes before I go to my office and turn off 30 minutes after I’m usually done. Works like a charm.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion!

Another great suggestion. This got me thinking, I didn’t see an option in the Tidbyt app to manually put it into an “away” mode similar to Nest Thermostats where the system goes into standby mode. Hmmmm…

This topic was automatically closed after 380 days. New replies are no longer allowed.