News, Sports, Weather Alerts

Howdy. For starters, I am STOKED to receive mine when you guys ship. I’ve been looking around for exactly this type of gadget for my new office/studio/man cave ever since I started building it.

I believe you guys already addressed sports in another thread, but specifically, the ability to choose the sport(s) (like MLB, NFL, but not NBA or PGA for example) would be ideal, with live scoring across the league, including the day’s earlier games’ final scores, games in progress and start time for games yet to come.

News headlines, much like a ticker in Times Square, would be a big, obvious one I’d think. Just the headlines, from whatever news sources you can choose. There’s probably a boatload of this api out there.

Lastly, weather alerts. ‘Rain will start in 22 minutes” at whatever location you’ve locked in. ‘Severe Thunderstorm Warning” - that kind of stuff. Would,pair nicely with the basic forecasts you offer already.

Maybe in my old-ish age, I’m getting too practical. But these things seem more universal than where my Tesla might be. :wink:

Thanks! Really can’t wait to get it!

1 Like

Can’t seem to find an inexpensive API for sports data… Did you have any in mind?

@matslina has been looking into sports API’s. I think the general conclusion is, the ones that are good are incredibly expensive. Our current approach is using multiple different API’s and melding together the data to get something useful.

2 Likes

Not being big into tech, would news need an API for a headline “ticker” or would an RSS work? I wouldn’t mind seeing BBC or NPR news alerts—especially when a national emergency is happening while at work. For Tydbit it seems all you would need visually is a text line or two for the headline, and a logo/icon to identify the service (plus whatever magic is in the coding on the backend for that—I imagine something would be needed to “strip” the headlines for tidbyt).

2 Likes

I like the idea of an RSS! Very versatile

Definitely, RSS seems like a no-brainer to have. Should be pretty easy to implement, too.

1 Like

definitely second this. A revolving news headline, not just BBC/NYT…so either add in a ton more news sources (Guardian, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, WSJ, LA Times, Sky News, USA Today, ESPN…) or maybe some sort of scrolling ticker that gets updated.

Hi! I’ve really enjoying the news app, however I was wondering if it were possible to add additional news sources? While BBC World News Service does well, I wouldn’t mind seeing news from NPR (National Public Radio in the US), DW (German and international News in English), Das Tageschau (German news service from their public broadcaster), Routers, or even Web3IsGoingGreat (Crypto scam news aggregator).

I’d be happy to post those RSS feed links here or on the discord (whichever might be easiest).

Yep, just need way more sources to include…from all over the world.