I tried to make a better App Store for Tidbyt

Like many of you, I’ve been really frustrated by the excellent hardware but mediocre-at-best app store on my Tidbyt. Discovering new apps, finding similar ones, and even basic functionalities are challenging in the current app store. I see this community frequently asking repeat questions about the status or quality of apps, so I thought I could create something better.

That’s why I built Tidbyt.softr.app today. Using low-code tools to speed up development, I created a site that offers a complete list of all Tidbyt apps. I maintain this in my spare time because in my main job, I run a low-code automation consultancy, so this isn’t too complicated. On the site you can:

• Rate and flag apps to help other: Share your setup and read reviews from other users.
  • Comment and annotate: Provide feedback and additional information to help others
  • Enhanced searchability: I used AI in Airtable to generate better categories, tags, and ‘related apps’ for every app, making it easier to find what you’re looking for, or discover something new.
  • Crowdsourced data: Contribute to and benefit from community-driven data to keep the platform up-to-date.

I’m open to feedback and plan on iterative development to continually improve the site. I’m sure there’s a bug or two hidden in there now - some gifs are missing, but I added a way for anyone to submit one. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

8 Likes

Great work!!

I was looking into something similar, but with way less features than what you did: Interface Demo | Algolia

4 Likes

THANK YOUUUU! Jesus, I can’t believe folks need to come out and do this. Like I have said before, that’s the actually great thing about Tidbyt is that the community can create stuff….but that should NOT be an excuse for the official team to:

• Not create any new, wide appeal official apps
  • Not to fix the few existing official apps, expecting folks to churn out alternatives
  • Not Remove clutter (there’s tons of apps in the app store that simply do not work anymore)
  • Be inaccessible to the community, can’t remember the last time I saw any actual communication, Q&A, or any chat between the official team and folks here in the forum. Like interacting with the community
    -etc
3 Likes

I hear the frustration. We might have bitten off more than we could chew with launching Tidbyt Gen 2, so the entire team has been bogged down with that.

Now that it’s close to shipping we should have more time and bandwidth to improve these things.

6 Likes

I’ve been asking for several months for you guys to fix the Official Tidbyt Stock app, the price only updates once every 8 minutes, so basically the app itself is useless if you’re a day trader. It should refresh at least once every 30 seconds to be honest, but even quicker would be nicer. It used to work really well, would certainly like to see that again.

We are looking into changing stocks data providers. The one we were using got acquired or something and ever since then the service has been degraded.

1 Like

Hopefully soon please, be nice to make use of the Tidbyt for what I purchased it for

2 Likes

Having issues with the stock app as well. Been about a week and it hasn’t updated. Now I can’t use it at all.

Seems kind of mind boggling to me that the only solution right now is for Tidbyt to completely disable the official Stock app rather than seamlessly switch to a new data provider if the previous one is getting shut off.

Are there really no reasonable alternative stock data providers?? This just seems like such a core feature of the device, and especially with the second gen hardware now going out the door, poor timing for newer users as well.

In general the lack of longer-term support for apps (particularly the first-party ones), and also the ongoing lack of communication and engagement from the team either on here or Reddit, has been quite frustrating as a user.

1 Like