Hide NYC subway trains arriving before X minutes

I recently received my Tidbyt and I love it! One feature request:

In the NYC Subway app, I’d like the ability to hide trains that arrive below X number of minutes. Here’s why:

I currently use the NYC Subway app to show trains arriving at my station. And currently, the app works as expected: It shows me the next 2 arriving trains. Seems great.

But here’s the thing: I live a 5 min walk from the nearest subway station, so I really only need to see trains that are arriving after 5 minutes. Any train that’s arriving between now and 4 min. is useless to me, and it’s just taking up a row on the screen that could show an actual useful train.

Here’s what I propose: A setting in the NYC subway app that lets users hide trains that arrive below a certain time frame. (In my case, 5 minutes.) That way, we’ll only see useful trains.

Thanks Tidbyt community!

I feel the same way! I walk a fair amount to my closest subway station. Would be nice to have this feature.

1 Like

+1 for the request, either ‘only show trains more than x minutes away’ or ‘show all trains arriving within the next y mins’ with multiple screens would be very useful since it takes a bit to get to the station!

1 Like

Yes, this would be a great feature for all transit apps! I use the Washington Metro app, for example.

1 Like

+1 for this feature! Right now the subway app is useful for vaguely answering the question, “Are the trains running or not?” But can’t actually help me catch a specific train, for the reasons stated above.

1 Like

Came here to suggest something similar. Either this solution or a feature that can cycle through the next 4 departing trains would be great.

1 Like

Working off this same idea, instead of listing just the next train in X minutes, there is space to show at least three trains per direction, like:

UPTOWN
1m, 3m, 10m
DOWNTOWN
3m, 15m, 22m

4 Likes

I added the app twice, each in only one direction. This lets me see subsequent trains, but only because I use a station with 1 service. Would not help if you have multiple.
But I like @eae’s idea better.

2 Likes

I would love if it listed out the next three arrival times, super useful for knowing which trains you can realistically take in the immediate future. There is plenty of pixel space for it to fit too

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m looking for which I get from TransSee but it isn’t as effective because you have to push the data to the Tidbyt from the computer every time.

1. hide if arrival is before X minutes
  2. option to choose one train line in selected station instead of defaulting to show all trains, this way you get the most out of the train predictions because you only see the list of the train arrivals for the train that you need. (I can’t take the M to where I need to go so I only want to see J predictions for my station.)
  3. Two or three pages of train predictions just like the overhead MTA signs to show you multiple inbound trains.

Ideally you need to see 3 or 4 incoming trains and can skip the ones that will arrive before you get there.

2 Likes

Bumping this because I really want this feature!

Filtering out train arrivals below X minutes would increase the usability of this device, and I’ve seen this feature implemented in DIY projects that are pulling from the same sources as Tidbyt, so I know it can be done.

1 Like

Coming here to bump this topic, too. :wink:

I just bought a tidbyt for just this reason and also live a 5-6 min walk from the station so I’m vibing hard with the need for either a filter or the display of multiple upcoming trains. Thanks, y’all!

Coming here to bump this topic, too — for the NYC subway app, in particular, being able to filter out trains arriving within X minutes (in my case, it’s about 8) is the difference between the app being useless or immensely useful. If anyone can be of help, that would be fantastic.

1 Like

Coming here to bump this topic also! Just bought a tidbyt for my girlfriend’s birthday and she loves it! But would like more applicable functionality on the MTA app.

I was thinking the MTA API probably gives the next 6 trains, that’s how it is on the MTA mobile app. So maybe if we could choose to show trains like 1 and 2 or trains 4 and 5 depending on how far you are from the station? Or just have the display cycle 3 times through all 6 trains? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks Tidbyt team!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.