Gen2 Blurry Screen

Just received my model today and upon powering it up and synching to my account noticing the screen is incredibly blurry.

7 Likes

I agree. The colors are a bit more vibrant/saturated compared to Gen 1, but the overlay clarity is challenging.

3 Likes

The Kickstarter listed this as being Sharper, Crisper, clearer - I don’t see it, this is digital rain on the gen 2, it looks much better on my gen 1

3 Likes

This is the same app, same font size on my Gen 1

1 Like

I’m just received and booted up my Gen. 2 today, and am experiencing the same thing. Do you think it’s an issue with some units, or do they all look this way? Here are mine side-by-side, and this app is much clearer and crisper on Gen. 1. It’s all kind of blurry and fuzzy on the new one.

2 Likes

I wonder if there some type of screen protector, leading to the fuzziness, not that I see any obvious way to remove such, if one was used.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same blurriness here, glad to know I’m not the only one. It indeed does look as if there’s some sort of translucent film over the screen, or the faceplate is translucent and there’s a large gap between it and the LED panel.

2 Likes

Same here. This is incredibly disappointing after waiting so long and… thinking it might look like the original photos? Shame on me I guess.

5 Likes

Tidbyt’s official response here.

So I know this may be disappointing to hear if you’re not a fan of the new look, but based on photos we’ve currently received with this feedback, this is the intended design. The Gen 2 was not intended to have individual raw pixels like the original Tidbyt. It’s optimized for viewing distances around 3 feet or greater, which is where you get the effect of a continuous image rather than individual pixels.

By design.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tidbyt/gen2/posts/4190266

1 Like

Here’s what I posted on the kickstarter forum:

“Sharper, crisper, clearer”: That was the tagline for this model
“Faster, brighter, blurrier”: That’s the product you delivered

While I was disappointed about the plasticky case instead of a wooden one, I was looking forward to a Tidbyt that would be a little crisper than my Gen1. What I received was not that. What I got was something where the direction appears to move away from the square pixel aesthetics to move towards a diffused, not quite there yet, picture that makes you wonder if something is wrong with the unit.

If by sharper you meant “reduce the space between the square pixels” then yeah, you probably accomplished that.
If by crisper you meant “make it brighter. so it really calls attention to itself instead of being an ambient messaging platform” then you accomplished that too (I had to reduce the brightness to make it less intrusive)
If by sharper you meant “it will feel like a regular foldable screen but you will feel like something is wrong with your eyesight” then you accomplished that too.

But if you meant anything else, anything like what those of us who backed you through Gen1 and now Gen2, you’re WAY off the mark. Gen1 was a Tidbyt I was proud to have on a shelf in my living room. Gen2 is something I will probably hide in a corner somewhere.

But don’t tell us that you have delivered. You failed to do so. Don’t make it worse by telling us that we’re just not understanding.

9 Likes

Yes, just received mine, and spent a LOT of time trying to peel off a (non-existent) screen protector.

This is pretty awful - too blurry to have at my desk.

4 Likes

Hard agree here. I’d be seeking a refund if this is by design; this product is terrible quality.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I saw the images for the Gen 2 and could instantly tell the difference in the look of each pixel. It was one of the reasons I decided not to upgrade.

1 Like

Same here…extreemly dissapointed and will not show this off. It looks unfinished.

3 Likes

What is the refund policy on these?

3 Likes

I just got my T2 device and I agree, this is NOT crisp and clear as advertised. I have next to my TV and sit about 10’ away from it and it is blurry. The T1 is a lot more clear and crisp.

3 Likes

Received my G2 today and my initial reaction until I saw this thread was my unit HAD to be defective.

Not even all the image optimization of an iPhone 15 Pro’s camera could improve the obvious shortcomings in its lack of sharpness. Each pixel looks like it has a halo effect, and I can’t determine if it’s the LED’s themselves or the acrylic diffuser.

Given the official response that it is intended to be this way, I would like to see how it looks without the diffuser along with step-by-step teardown instructions to remove it.

Rohan, you may be “happy with the way it looks now”, but many of you backers / customers, included myself, are not (and I doubt this topic will only grow with additional replies.)

The Tidbyt Gen 1 was/is a huge success, but you are only going to lose all the goodwill and brand equity you built with it that provided you with the trust of 9,000+ backers who pledged over $950k to make the Gen 2 with a NOT “sharper, crisper, clearer” improved product and you have to DO BETTER than asking us to “please give it a bit of time” if you want its mainstream reviews to be harsh and generate the sales numbers to be a success and have any chance of ever getting support for a Gen 3.

4 Likes

Very interesting thread and very much looking forward to getting my Gen 2, has anyone yet taken the plunge with a heat gun and sucker device per the latest update ? Photos and experience would be very interesting. Quote from update 16…

"I probably shouldn’t mention this and I don’t recommend it, but if you really, truly just want to go back to the classic, raw LED look… it is possible to remove the new diffuser and grid from the Gen 2.

However, it is not an operation for the faint-hearted and does take a fair bit effort. The diffuser is secured to the case using adhesive. To remove it during testing, we apply heat using either a hot air gun/blowdryer, heat pad, or iOpener. The diffuser can then be pulled off with a suction cup."

1 Like

Just received it today. Was excited until I got it going. The display is GARBAGE!!! Fuzzy, unclear GARBAGE!!!

The creators should be ashamed of themselves! Let me guess, you saved a few dollars here and there for cheaper materials and cheap displays and you went with it. Now that you are being called out, you are giving bull shit explanations about this was always the case.

Rohan, you are an unethical, unscrupulous piece of shit!

1 Like