App Cycle Time - Api call each Cycle?

I have a working app pulling in a weather forecast from the UK Met Office - all good - my worry is on rate limits. If the app cycles every 15 seconds then I am making a call to their API above and beyond fair use rates.

I know this is probably discussed in various threads - but is it possible to only cycle apps every 5 minutes? 15 Seconds at the maximum does seem a little short…

Andy

1 Like

Answering myself a bit - but - am i correct in thinking the app on the Tidbyt does not actually update - ie look for new data - it needs to be rendered and pushed for any updates?

ie via a cronjob/shell script?

Andy

Yup! That’s it exactly. I use a Raspberry Pi with cronjobs for my personal apps I’ve created to push to the Tidbyt with Pixlet.

1 Like

Yeah - to add to this, you’re essentially pushing a rendered web page to the Tidbyt - there’s no code executed on the physical device itself for your app.

1 Like

Just for bookkeeping, here’s a GitHub thread where I asked a similar question about pushing data once per cycle per user: https://github.com/mackorone/tidbyt-pokedex/issues/4