Alternate backplate?

Just got the tidbyt and Im having some fun with it. Noticed that the current backplate and plug combo more or less make it impossible to have the tidbyt hung on a wall or flush against a wall on a shelf. Im of course not opposed to tinkering with it but might be a design consideration in the future.

1 Like

Great idea! We’ve gotten a few requests for a wall-mounting option, but I haven’t been able to find a solution that wouldn’t compromise the simplicity of the wooden enclosure.

Having the mounting option built into the back plate would work though and would also be swappable onto existing devices like yours. I’ll put it on the design queue. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I’ve actually had success using a “right angle” USB-C plug, so its slightly smaller on the back. Its not perfect though since its still not flat…

1 Like

I’ve been thinking more about this. I think it would require a pretty significant redesign to be 100% completely flush with the wall like a framed piece of art. We might be able to achieve that with a future model, but I’d like to figure out a wall-mounting solution that works for existing devices as well.

My current thinking is a spacer that adheres to both the back of the Tidbyt on one side and the wall on the other side. The spacer would use a removable adhesive, similar to 3M picture-hanging strips. It would attach the Tidbyt to the wall, but with enough space to fit a right angle USB-C plug and cable.

Sorry if that doesn’t make sense, it’s a bit confusing to explain. I’ll sketch it up in CAD and 3D print a prototype.

2 Likes

For the wal mount its should have have magnetic plate on the back of this and it comes with another magnetic plate with double sided tape so u can just put that on wall and just simply stick the tidbyt on that magnet

1 Like

like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DDSYMZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_02Z375DC7PH7GKYCDPP8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like