Aircraft/Flight Number Ident

My Tidbyt is here! I really need to get this Aircraft identification thing working.

Hi Dan- Any more interest in getting this working on a Tidbyt?

Yes! I still don’t have mine though… :confused:

OK, it just arrived today! I’ve been poking around with the dev tools.

I can “push” directly to my Tidbyt, which is easy, but if we wanted to write an app that allowed the user to specify a location (similar to the weather apps), how would we go about doing that?

HI Dan- I’m trying to get started as well, but running into issues as I don’t have a mac, nor do I have much experience with Linux/Ubuntu.

Once I can get into Pixlet, I’ll be able to dice into learning Pixlet/Starlark.

Conceptually, My friend and I were trying to longhand the process- We were tining that we’d need to pull aircraft operating close to a lat/long and then filter them by what’s available.

Could you provide a list of what fields would be available in an ADSBExchange? We’re hoping it would be an easy parameter to filter for, such as origin or destination. Otherwise, it sounds more complicated in that we need to make some assumptions based on the proximity of the aircraft to the airport, below a certain altitude, and in a vertical descent or climb to determine arrival or departure.

Was this the direction you were heading?

There are so many useful types of displays that could be done. Depends on what you’re looking to do. Currently, we do not have arrival/departure airports (just current lat/lon coordinates), but it’s looking like we will add arrival/departure airports shortly. My other interest is in aircraft flying around not on flight plans (medical helicopters, police helicopters, small GA planes, etc.) Pretty close to having something basic working here.

I am a bit puzzled on why Starlark was chosen as the development language here. There is not a lot of “googleable” material out there on Starlark and it doesn’t seem that well suited for this niche…

2 Likes

An even better idea would be arrival, departure info for your nearest airport with a digitized logo for the airline. I’d love to select “DCA” and see ify flight from DC to Dallas was delayed or cancelled.

1 Like

So… is everyone interested mainly in just commercial flights, or is there also interest in smaller aircraft?

1 Like

So basically an airport arrival / departures board for your nearest / chosen airport? I could have a crack at that, I don’t think it would be too difficult.

2 Likes

Here’s what I have so far… Gotta incorporate origin/dest.

9 Likes

I’m working on something like this! It’s working and just needs to be fine-tuned, I’ll post a GitHub repo and full details tomorrow I think. It shows the next departure at the airport of your choice, shows a route map, the aircraft model, gate, time, airline etc.

21 Likes

Would love to see a flight tracker where you input the flight number and the display shows you an ETA , maybe a map like the above post.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone- Coming up for air after snowfall at our airport.

My initial attempt to get Linux/Ubuntu /pixlet working failed. I’ll need to try that again.

@DanS and @Josh_Neronha, your iterations look great!

Definitely the option for all aircraft closest to a location. My hope is to have mine running in my airport operations office and show the next arrival or departure.

3 Likes

What would you be looking for? Arrivals/departures based on IFR flight plans?

Or looking at signals from ADS-B transponders in the area?

What API are you using for data?

As a current ATC, I’m geeking out over this!!!

THIS is perfect! I need this on my Tidbyt like yesterday.

It would be great to specify a location and then see the closest flight based on ADS-B transponder data. I live near a flight path and would love to be able to look up at the plane flying over and look at my Tidbyt to see the info about that flight.

@Josh_Neronha Hey man did you ever finish this? I have a buddy whose a piolet who would love to have it!

1 Like